Thursday, March 18, 2010

The art of packing


Since I'm already sitting here considering what to pack for my upcoming trips, I thought I would share my tips on smart and simple packing.  This next two weeks poses particular challenges - get this: 


Sunday Mar 21 - fly Zurich to Stockholm (via Copenhagen for some extra flavor) - current temp in Stockholm 30 degrees F
Wednesday Mar 24 - fly Stockholm to Boston - current temp 70 degrees F
Tuesday Mar 30 - fly Boston to Zurich, arriving mid day March 31.  Who care's what the temp is because then I fly
Thursday, April 1 - Zurich to Tel Aviv - current temp 82 degrees F


Now, anyone who knows me knows I have the upper body strength of a toddler. Besides that I just HATE lugging stuff.  I even bought a granny cart to grocery shop here.


So, for those reasons and many more, I've disciplined myself to pack light.  Here are a few ways I keep my packing in check assuming a 7-10 day trip:

  • I notice that the earlier I start laying things aside to pack the bigger the pile because I keep seeing things I'd like to add.  So, I don't pack very far ahead and find that it helps me not overpack.
  • I decide on the size suitcase I should need for the length trip and make myself live with it.  I don't pile everything up and then look for a bag to fit it all in.
  • I have trial sized everything (mostly snatched from hotel rooms).  They go in a ziplock bag, not a cute (but inevitably bulky) toiletries bag
  • Make-up: I only take one versatile eye shadow, some mascara and 2 lip glosses
  • I never bring perfume.  Not necessary and can leak or break.
  • I never pack a hairdryer - there's always one at the hotel
  • I try to get an easy haircut so I don't care about straightening, etc.  If you have long hair it's easier to pack an elastic than a straightening iron.
  • I'll usually bring a fun necklace or two since they don't take up space and they will jazz up your outfit b/c you're packing fewer clothes if you're good.
  • Clothes - ok here's where you all go crazy.  This is my formula
    • Bottoms - # of days divided by 2.  One of those should be suitable to go out to dinner and not feel like a bum, but can also be comfy enough for running around sightseeing.
    • Tops - depending on the weather, usually 1 sweater (2 in winter), a few light long sleeve shirts and a few short.  # of total top options = # of days minus a couple.  So, for a 7 day trip I'd have 5 or 6 tops.  I always have 1 or two I really like and want to wear a second time.
    • Instead of a bottom/top combo above I like to pack a jersey dress that you can just throw in the bag it won't wrinkle.  These are awesome.
    • I always wear the bulkiest of the clothes I plan to bring with me on the plane.  If it's warm, the sweater goes around my waist to save luggage space.
    • I buy really easy pjs to pack (usually light bottoms and a tank)
    • Shoes - 2 pair limit.  One ok for work/dinner and one that I can really walk in.  Flip flops don't count.  Always wear the bulkiest on the plane.
    • Undies and socks go in last and you shove them around everything else
  • Always remember your chargers (phone, camera battery, kindle plus adapters)
  • You can fit more clothes by rolling them than folding them but I normally only need to do this on the way home after shopping!
  • Speaking of, remember - the less you pack the more you can shop.
  • Nothing valuable every goes in checked luggage and I never lock it (I'm convinced this invites attention of thieves anyway).
  • Many cell phones have alarms so you don't need to pack one.
  • To the airport I wear the bulkiest clothes and shoes I'll need and any coat/jacket.  You can always shove the coat/sweater in the overhead bin if you're hot.
Before I close the suitcase one last time I do this check in my head:
  • Make sure you have your passport
  • Make sure you have your credit cards and money
  • Remind yourself that no one cares really what you wear so can you take anything else out?
  • Make sure you have your toothbrush/toothpaste
  • Don't worry about anything else - you can always buy it.

Let's Go travel books always say - pack your bags and then take half that amount and twice the money.  It's as good advice as any.

No comments:

Post a Comment