Tuesday, March 2, 2010

These are a few of my favorite things

As I run out of projects in the Melrose house I am starting to feel the withdrawals of decorating.  Although I'm not a creative person I am loving the process of re-doing the spaces in my house.  Though the thousands of hours watching HGTV and listening to how colors can "pop" and how important "texture" is, it's becoming ever more difficult to rein in the tweaking.  For those of you that don't care about this stuff, go ahead and hit your "back" button, but for the rest of you (anyone?) who dream of auditioning for Design Star, I'll share are a few things that I'm loving right now. What's on your list?

Purple/Plum
I'm starting to see this color pop up in magazines and for the heck of it threw it into my dining room and I love it:

Can't really see it from here but there are coordinating pillows on the chairs along the back wall and I found great paper with which I lined the shelves of my hutch.  David Bromstad says you have to repeat a color at least 3 times in a room and I'm a good pupil.















I am also loving retro fabrics:





Such fun fabrics!!  I want to make some pillow covers to add to the dining room for a little punch since there is no other pattern there.  In general I like simple fabrics but a little punch of color here and there is really fun.  

I think the Hollywood Regency style of decor is so beautiful - especially in a bedroom













It's characterized by lush fabrics, lots of shine like mirror or glass, and nail heads on upholstered pieces but it's also very clean looking at the same time.  Perhaps now my new bed purchase makes sense: 







Some of the upholstered beds are too feminine but this was perfect for me and I LOVE nail head detail.  I also didn't want something I'd be sick of in 5 years so this seemed a good compromise.






Going a bit to another extreme, I've been eyeing a new dining room table for almost a year now since my current one is really too small for the space.  Some day I'll plunk down the cash for this one or similar:

It's a chunky industrial, rustic table.  One of my design shows they described one person's style as "rustic contemporary" or rustic revival and I guess that's as close to what I like as they come.  I like pieces with character, I tend to like more masculine pieces (other than when "shiny" and "rusched" are involved) and I definitely like clean lines and simplicity.  I've been going back to this table every few months to see if it's on sale at Pottery Barn but no luck yet.










On an earlier post I had this mirror on my wish list and now it's mine!  I love Zgallerie where I got this fabulous sparkly dining room mirror.  Zgallerie is one of my favorite sites for a lot for ideas on cool and unusual pieces.















Well, that's a few fun things for right now.  I have major shopping itch now.  I guess it's obvious that one of my favorite things is online treasure hunting.  I wonder if there are any sales running....



No comments:

Post a Comment